We’ve always known that the Uuni is for way more than just cooking pizza and this week I’ve been doing a bit of experimenting with new ideas and recipes. How about one Banana Pie? Yes indeed! That’s one of my very favourite courses
In my camping days…(less prevalent now!) We loved making baked bananas on campfires. So easy! You’d just slice the banana length ways (skin still on), stuff it with chocolate buttons, wrap it in foil and throw it into the fire. The outside skin would blacken and the inside would be a gooey lovely mess to be scooped out with a spoon. Yum. Working with the gooey banana idea and combining with another childhood favourite -banofee pie- I decided to create a (*ever so* slightly more grown up version) Salted Caramel Banana Pie, surely something that would appeal to all ages at our garden party this weekend.
Banana Pie Recipe:
For the salted caramel * note: you can buy this pre-made from supermarkets for an even quicker dessert.
- 200g(1 cup) granulated sugar
- 90g (6 Tablespoons) salted butter, cut up into pieces
- 120ml (1/2 cup) double cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Puff pastry, rolled thinly (approx 2mm)
- 1-2 bananas, sliced
- (Vanilla ice-cream to serve) *optional
For the Caramel Sauce: (*you can also buy readymade to save time)
- Heat granulated sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula.
- Sugar will form into clumps and eventually melt into a thick brown, amber-coloured liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn.
- Once sugar is completely melted, add the butter. (Be careful in this step because the caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added.)
- Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Very slowly, drizzle in the cream. (Since the cream is colder than the caramel, the mixture will rapidly bubble and/or splatter when added.)
- Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt.
For the Base:
- I used pre-made puff pastry for the base. I rolled it very thinly to around 2mm.
- Grease a small round tin with butter and cut the pastry to fit.(my tin was 18cm in diameter.)
- Spread the salted caramel mixture generously onto the base but leave a 1cm border to allow the puff pastry crust to rise.
- Top the caramel sauce with sliced banana.
- Place the tin in a hot Uuni for approximately 3 minutes turning midway.
- Serve with cream or ice-cream. Enjoy!
Keep us posted on your Uuni dessert ideas:)
Trying out this recipe? Don’t forget to see our other recipes and to share a photo!
Looking for more Ooni inspiration? Join the OONI COMMUNITY Facebook group for sharing tips and recipes.