It’s our favourite day of the year at Ooni HQ, it’s National Cheese Pizza Day! This year, we’ve been thinking long and hard about how we could make a cheese pizza even cheesier, and we’ve come up with this awesome Pizza Dough Recipe for the occasion.
If, like us, you have a basil plant that seems to be plotting to take over the world, this is a delicious excuse to trim it. The sweet honey flavour really sets off the parmesan. This dough also works really well for making bread rolls, or for our favourite office snack – mini pizzas. Use shaped cookie cutters to make some back-to-school mini cheese pizzas for the kids’ lunch boxes. That’s if you can bare to leave any left-overs that is.
Pizza Dough Recipe Ingredients
- 450g wholemeal flour
- 250ml warm water
- 120g grated parmesan
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 7g dry yeast
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Pizza toppings of your choice
- You’ll also need a little extra flour and olive oil for dusting the board and greasing the bowl
Pizza Dough Recipe Method
- Put your yeast into a large mixing bowl and then add the warm water, honey and olive oil. Stir well and then leave for 5 minutes.
- Next add roughly two thirds of the flour,along with the parmesan,salt and chopped basil and start to mix the dough together with a wooden spoon.
- Eventually as the ingredients bind together you’ll need to ditch that spoon and start working it with your hands.
- Add the rest of the flour and knead the dough until all of the ingredients are combined well.
- Now use some of your extra flour to kneed the dough to (just use enough to prevent the dough from being sticky.
- Kneed the dough until it’s smooth (approximately 3 minutes)
- Grease a bowl with some olive oil and place the dough inside. Cover with cling film or a tea towel and place in a warm place to prove for 60 – 90 mins. It should double in size so consider this when making your bowl choice
- Empty the dough back onto a floury surface and give it an extra knead for a minute or so.
- You need to rest the dough for around 20 minutes now- so use this time to prep your Ooni and make sure your pizza toppings are at the ready.
- Top with toppings of your choice and cook in the Ooni for 2-3 minutes.
We’ve used cheddar and mozzarella for this one (more cheese of course!) and we’ve thrown on a few cherry tomatoes instead of sauce. Yum.
Trying out this recipe? Don’t forget to see our other recipes and to share a photo!
Looking for more Ooni inspiration? Join the OONI COMMUNITY Facebook group for sharing tips and recipes.